Whistleblower Plaintiffs Attorneys

Do you have information that may support a claim by the U.S. government? Our lawyers can help you file a whistleblower claim and collect the compensation to which you are entitled under federal law.

If you have information about a crime or civil wrong committed against the U.S. government, federal authorities encourage you to come forward. Several federal laws include whistleblower provisions, and these laws provide protection against retaliation as well as the right to receive compensation if the government secures a financial recovery based on the information you provide.

However, filing a federal whistleblower claim is not necessarily a straightforward process, and there are steps you need to take in order to secure the protections and compensation that are available. As a result, while you have the option to file a whistleblower claim on your own, we strongly recommend that you seek representation from an attorney before you do anything else with the information you have in your possession.

Attorneys with Experience on Both Sides of Federal Whistleblower Claims

Our firm represents whistleblowers nationwide. Not only do we represent whistleblowers, but we also represent companies in defense of whistleblower claims, and several of our lawyers are former federal prosecutors who previously handled whistleblower claims on behalf of the federal government. As a result, we have deep insights into all aspects of federal whistleblower litigation, and we are able to effectively represent whistleblowers with respect to meeting the filing requirements, protecting their legal rights, and securing the compensation to which they are legally entitled.

Whistleblower Claims Under the False Claims Act

Many whistleblower cases involve allegations under the False Claims Act. The False Claims Act is a federal statute that makes it illegal to “falsely or fraudulently” bill the federal government or any federal government benefit program. As a result, whistleblower claims under the False Claims Act frequently involve allegations such as:

  • Submitting a fraudulent application for a federal grant or federal loan
  • Submitting false or fraudulent information in order to secure a federal government contract
  • Billing for substituted materials or services not rendered under a federal government contract
  • Fraudulently billing Medicare, Medicaid, or Tricare
  • Attempting to pay the federal government less than it is owed

If you have evidence that your employer – or any other company or individual – has fraudulently obtained or withheld funds from the federal government, then you may be able to file a whistleblower claim under the False Claims Act. When you contact us, our attorneys will review your evidence in complete confidence, and we will determine whether your evidence is sufficient to support a federal whistleblower claim.

Whistleblower Claims Under Other Federal Laws

In addition to the False Claims Act, several other federal laws contain whistleblower protections as well. Some of these laws apply to specific industries, some of them apply to specific types of businesses and business transactions, and some of them apply to specific types of prohibited activities. We represent individuals in whistleblower claims under all federal statutes; and, if you are not sure which statute applies to the evidence you have in your possession, our attorneys can determine under which statute you should file.

Other federal laws that contain whistleblower provisions include:

  • Affordable Care Act (ACA) (29 U.S.C. § 218C)
  • Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) (15 U.S.C. § 2651)
  • Clean Air Act (CAA) (42 U.S.C. § 7622)
  • Commodity Exchange Act (CEA) (7 U.S.C. § 26)
  • Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) (42 U.S.C. § 9610)
  • Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010 (CFPA) (12 U.S.C. § 5567)
  • Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) (15 U.S.C. § 2087)
  • Energy Reorganization Act (ERA) (42 U.S.C. § 5851)
  • Federal Railroad Safety Act (FRSA) (49 U.S.C. § 20109)
  • Federal Water Pollution Control Act (FWPCA) (33 U.S.C. § 1367)
  • Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) (21 U.S.C. § 399d)
  • International Safe Container Act (ISCA) (46 U.S.C. § 80507)
  • Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) (49 U.S.C. § 30171)
  • National Transit Systems Security Act (NTSSA) (6 U.S.C. § 1142)
  • Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), Section 11(c) (29 U.S.C. § 660(c))
  • Pipeline Safety Improvement Act (PSIA) (49 U.S.C. § 60129)
  • Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) (42 U.S.C. § 300j-9(i))
  • Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) (18 U.S.C. § 1514A)
  • Seaman’s Protection Act (SPA) (46 U.S.C. § 2114)
  • Solid Waste Disposal Act (SWDA) (42 U.S.C. § 6971)
  • Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) (49 U.S.C. § 31105)
  • Taxpayer First Act (TFA) (26 U.S.C. § 7623(d))
  • Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) (15 U.S.C. § 2622)
  • Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century (AIR21) (49 U.S.C. § 42121)

Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs): Filing a Federal Whistleblower Claim

Q: What type of information do I need to have in order to file a whistleblower claim with the U.S. government?

You do not need to have any specific type of information in order to file a whistleblower claim with the U.S. government. All that is required is that (i) you have reliable information about a relevant violation of federal law, and (ii) you are the first person to provide this information to the government. As long as you satisfy the basic requirements for filing a valid whistleblower claim under the relevant statute, then you are entitled to protection against retaliation, and you are entitled to receive a portion of the government’s recovery if a lawsuit or prosecution based on your information is successful.

Q: Can my employer fire me if I file a whistleblower claim?

If you qualify as a whistleblower under any of the statutes listed above, then your employer cannot legally terminate your employment based on the fact that you filed a claim. The federal government wants individuals to come forward when they have information about fraud, waste, and abuse, and it provides this protection so that employees are do not have to risk their jobs in order to file whistleblower lawsuits.

When you hire our firm to handle your whistleblower case, we will protect your identity for as long as possible. We will file your claim “under seal,” and this will prevent your name from being disclosed to your employer—at least for a while. If you are publicly identified as the whistleblower, we will explain everything you need to know, and we will be prepared to take legal action promptly if your employer attempts to take adverse employment action against you.

Q: How long do I have to file a federal whistleblower claim?

Different whistleblower laws have different statutes of limitations. As a result, if you have information that you believe may be of use to the federal government, it is important that you speak with a lawyer sooner rather than later.

Taking the False Claims Act as an example, in order to qualify for whistleblower protection, you must file your claim within (i) six years of the date of the statutory violation, or (ii) three years after the violation reasonably should have been discovered–whichever comes later. However, in no event can you file more than 10 years after the statutory violation. In many cases, whistleblowers will have information that will lead to evidence of multiple violations over a multi-year period, and acting promptly can help ensure that the government (and you) are able to recover as much money as possible.

Q: What are the requirements to file a federal whistleblower claim?

The requirements for filing a federal whistleblower claim also vary by statute. With our experience handling cases on behalf of whistleblowers, the federal government, and companies targeted in whistleblower lawsuits, we can make sure you meet the requirements for filing a valid claim.

Q: What happens after I file a federal whistleblower claim?

Once you file a federal whistleblower lawsuit, lawyers for the government will review your complaint and disclosure statement in order to determine whether you have met the threshold requirements for filing a valid claim. If so, then the government will launch an investigation. Based on the outcome of this investigation, the government will either decide to “intervene” and take over your case, or it will decide not to take further action.

If the government intervenes, lawyers for the government will pursue civil or criminal charges, and you will be entitled to whistleblower compensation at the end of the case if it results in a settlement or a favorable verdict. If the government does not intervene, you can choose to continue pursuing your allegations independently; and, if you succeed, you will be entitled to a larger whistleblower award.

Q: How much compensation am I entitled to receive as a whistleblower?

Whistleblower compensation also varies by statute. Continuing with the False Claims Act as an example, whistleblowers are entitled to receive from 15 to 30 percent of the government’s recovery (depending on whether the government decides to intervene). Whistleblowers are also separately entitled to compensation for their attorneys’ fees and costs.

Q: How can a lawyer help with my federal whistleblower claim?

At Oberheiden Law, we handle all aspects of our clients’ whistleblower claims, from preparing the complaint and disclosure statement to interfacing with the government’s lawyers before, during, and after the decision on whether to intervene. We advocate for our clients, and we make sure they receive the protections and compensation to which they are legally entitled. To learn more about how we can assist with your federal whistleblower claim, schedule a free and confidential consultation today.

Request a Free and Confidential Consultation with a Federal Whistleblower Attorney

Do you have a whistleblower claim under the False Claims Act or another federal statute? To speak with a federal whistleblower attorney at Oberheiden Law about your information in confidence, call 866-376-4871 or request a free consultation online now.

If you have been
injured in an accident
you should contact us today

Contact the
Experienced Attorneys of Oberheiden Law
Now for a Confidential Consultation

Contact Us Now